How To Apply in Victoria

YWCA provides medium and long-term housing to women. If you are in need of emergency or crisis accommodation, please contact 1800 RESPECT, Lifeline or your state and territory’s referral service.

If you are experiencing family violence and require urgent assistance you should call the police on 000.

Safe Steps Family Violence Response Centre is a specialist support service for anyone in Victoria who is experiencing or afraid of family violence. You can call 1800 015 188 (freecall) at anytime for advice and support.

You can call the statewide service on 1800 825 955 (free call) at anytime or call 000 if you are in danger and require urgent assistance.

YWCA Housing is a participating agency in the Victorian Housing Register (VHR).  The VHR is a single waiting list for social housing, including public housing, and means that you don’t need to submit a separate application for public and community housing in Victoria.

The register improves the service provided to people seeking housing by streamlining access to a broader range of social housing options.  The register was designed and implemented in partnership between the community housing sector, the homelessness services sector, including family violence, and the Department of Health and Human Services.

There are two application types:

  • Priority Access – for people most in need of housing, low income and assets, predefined categories; and
  • Register of Interest – for people who do not have a priority housing need but who meet the basic eligibility, income and asset criteria.

You can find more information about eligibility requirements and applying for social housing at the HousingVic website or on the Victorian DHHS website.

Applications for housing can be made using myGov online services using the Victorian Housing Register application:

If you want more information on any of the above, please contact us on (03) 8341 8700.

YWCA is excited to announce that we have four newly built three-bed units in Bendigo, Victoria. The aim of Affordable Housing is to ease the financial stress that the private rental market can bring upon low-income earners. Affordable housing rents are offered at a subsidised rate that will not exceed 75% of market rent, and are set at no more than 30% of the gross household income. 

Allocations of these properties is in accordance with state-based eligibility criteria and household size. The eligibility of affordable housing tenants is assessed on an annual basis and lease terms are generally for 12 months.

These units are all long-term affordable housing and to be eligible you are required to have:

  • Income assessment 
  • YWCA Affordable Housing Application Form
  • Links to the local area
Eligibility and How to Apply
  • Currently Employed
  • Must be over 18 years of age
  • Australian Citizenship OR Permanent Residency Status

Please note:

  • All inspections are by appointment.
  • You must complete and lodge an application before you will be considered to inspect the property.
  • Property inspections are only offered to applicants who meet the criteria and have completed a full application
  • The Housing Officer will review your documents for completeness and eligibility.

As this property is part of our Affordable Housing program and only eligible to applicants that are employed, you cannot apply for this property if you are unemployed. YWCA has a mix of social and affordable housing.

If you want more information on any of the above, please contact us on (03) 8341 8700.